February 18, 2008

Gone Baby Gone (2007)

Ben Affleck's directorial debut finally came out on video, and I snatched it up. There has been a lot of buzz around this movie, and I was interested.

Casey Affleck (Ben's brother) stars as a private detective hired to help search for a kidnapped little girl in inner city Boston. Turns out the girl's mother (portrayed by Amy Ryan) is just about as despicable of a person as you could find - addicted to crack, prone to leaving the little girl alone for long stretches at a time - and yet, she is guilt ridden for leaving her daughter long enough to be taken from her. Affleck's character knows "the people" around the neighborhood - meaning of course, he knows all the drug dealers and shady people that lurk around. One clue leads to another as he searches for the girl, and well... the plot is a little complex, and it has a twist ending, so I won't ruin it for you.

I will say this though - it was very good. I have been hearing hype about this movie for a while now, and though it wasn't quite as good as I thought it would be (thats usually the way it is with movies that I have heard a lot about), I still consider it one of the best movies of the year, and think it does deserve the Oscar and Golden Globe nods it is getting. Casey Affleck really shines, and he has a great supporting cast which includes Morgan Freeman, and Ed Harris - two fantastic actors. Who would have thought that geeky dude from Ocean's Eleven was a headlining actor?

No comments: