February 21, 2008

Ratatouille (2007)

Back when the movie Cars was coming out, I thought I finally lost interest in Pixar movies - the previews were just so dumb. Thankfully someone sat me down to watch it and my faith was restored. The fact is - Pixar never misses a beat, and I should have known that by now. Every single one of their movies has been a home run as far as I am concerned.

So it was with great anticipation that my wife and I went and saw Ratatouille, in the theater no less (yes we do get out sometimes). The movie is about a rat who loves to cook. He is ostracized from his clan of rats that eat garbage, and moves to Paris to follow his destiny. He soon meets up with an aspiring chef, and almost by accident the young man realizes that this rat can cook. Comedy ensues as the rat learns to control the actions of this young chef by sitting on his head and pulling his hair. Hiding under the chef's hat, the rats culinary creations are the talk of Paris, and soon the pair is squaring off against the premier food critic (voiced by Peter O'Toole).

Smaller children will have trouble keeping their attention - I think this is more for an older audience. However, I loved it. The story was fun, the comedy was fresh, and in general, just another great Pixar movie. As I think back to all the movies I have seen this year, this movie sticks out more and more and is climbing on my list of favorites for 2007.

2 comments:

Bryan said...

Still my top movie from 2007. The story, the characters (and their voices), the animation, and Michael Giacchino's brilliant score all add up to a perfect 10 for me. Equally enjoyable, though on a more sublime level, as Bird's "The Incredibles" from 2004. Knowing the story behind the film's creation makes it even more of a wonder, and the commentary and featurettes loaded on the Blu-ray release serve to deepen this particular viewer's awe of the movie (too bad they were withheld from the DVD release).

Here's hoping it snags the Best Screenplay (long shot) and Best Musical Score (easy) Oscars this weekend. Too bad it couldn't break out of the Best Animated Films category to compete with the big boys for Best Picture.

By the way, it's rated G. :) Time to create a new category!

Ben said...

LOL - guess I didn't check the rating that closely ;).