February 16, 2008

Across the Universe (2007)

I am a huge Beatles fan (or at least I was before I discovered Led Zeppelin). So naturally, I was excited when I saw the preview for Across the Universe which uses Beatles songs exclusively in its soundtrack, and reference after reference to the pop culture created by the group.

The film follows Jude, a liverpool dock worker, as he moves to New York City to find his father. He meets Lucy while in America, and quickly falls in love. The couple navigate the craziness of the 60s, drugs, sex, rock and roll, and all that jazz. Lucy''s brother Max ends up getting drafted into the Vietnam war, and Lucy becomes a die hard peace activist, while Jude explores his passion for art.



I was a big fan of the movie, even the weirder parts until they ran into Mr. Kite's circus about half way through. There were about 10 minutes of absolute weirdness, that I couldn't get over. However, the actors have great voices, and there is some really cool stuff they did visually and with the music. Plus, I love the music of the Beatles, s I give this a mild recommendation.

No comments: