February 13, 2008

New Rating System

So I have decided that the "star" system is totally lame because it doesn't mean anything, or it means something different to every person. I just realized that when I go to the rental store, I don't hear anyone say, "You should rent this, its a three-and-a-half-star movie!" As such, here is my new rating guide, or rather "Recommendations" guide:

Go out of your way to see this movie. (Previously 5 and the upper end of 4 stars)
Rent this movie. (Previously 3 and lower four stars)
Don't rent this movie. (Previously 2 stars and lower)

I thought about having a "This could be the best movie EVER!" rating, as well as a "Avoid this movie like the plague, because like the plague, this movie will suck the ever loving soul from all that is good in your life" rating. However, ratings like that just muddy the waters right? Trying to keep it simple here...

I am going to start adding a few special ratings for select movies including the following:

Cockroach in the Ice cream - For my Mormon friends and family - remember this mormonad? There are so many movies that have just one too many swear words, but watching the movie you don't even notice why it is rated R - you guys can eat the ice cream and not even notice there was a cockroach in it :).
This Movie has the Best Reflexes of All Time, GOSH! - For those Sci-fi, and other geeky cult films that might be quite bad, but those of this particular persuasion would like anyway.

I will come up with more as I think of them, or the need arises.

I will be going through my ratings to date and changing them to the new system.

No comments: