February 20, 2008

Grindhouse (Planet Terror and Death Proof) (2007)

OK - So I saw this movie out of a bit of self indulgence - I just get a kick out of zombie movies for some reason - plus, I remember watching those terrible movies from the 1970s (not because I was even alive back then, but because during summer vacation they were always on the weird channels in the middle of the day). So needless to say, this double feature that pokes fun at both genres was a blast to watch.

The plot of Planet Terror is pretty senseless, and the details won't do you much good - by some crazy plot device the locals in a small town start turning into zombies, and a small group bands together to fend them off. By far the coolest part of the movie (I am laughing out loud as I type this because it is going to sound so ridiculous) was when they attached an assault rifle onto Rose McGowan's leg, and she starts wasting people with it.

Death Proof is a little more grounded in reality, with Kurt Russell as "Stunt Man Mike" a sadistic serial killer who kills people by smashing into them with his souped up stunt car. The film is slow getting going, but gets quite exciting towards the end, as his next victims turn out to be more than a handful themselves.

I loved both films - and laughed through a lot of it, enjoying the spoof/tribute. However, I think you have to be of the right persuasion to like them - as evidenced by the fact that Grindhouse got great critical reviews but did poorly at the box office.

No comments: