June 10, 2008

Jumper (2008)

I heard that some critics didn't really like Jumper, the sci-fi flick starring young Darth Vader himself, Hayden Christensen. However, the trailer just looked to cool for a geek like me to pass up. I am glad that I didn't.

Summary
Christensen plays a guy who discovers that he can teleport at will to any place on Earth. After ditching his bum of a father, he robs a bank without leaving a trace, and is soon living the high life traveling the world at will. However, after eight years of this, he finally runs into a Paladin, played by Samuel L. Jackson with a wicked haircut - who is apparently a religious zealot who is sworn to kill all "Jumpers". Turns out there is a centuries old war between Jumpers and Paladins, and Christensen's character finds himself teamed up with another Jumper in a fight to protect his family and loved ones.

Why you should rent it
I thought the movie was a lot of fun. Contrary to what I have read about the film, the special effects were pretty cool, and there are some crazy chase sequences. The film didn't build to quite the climax that I was expecting, and the characters were a little dull, but all in all it was just a cool sci-flick. If you are not into sci-fi, you may not like it, but if you are, you probably will.

No comments: