April 29, 2008

Juno (2007)

One of the most talked about movies of 2007 was Juno, a low key comedy about teen pregnancy. The movie was funny, but ultimately a little overrated in my opinion. Just a little though - still a good movie.

The Oscar nominated Ellen Page does a great job as Juno, a teen that finds out she is pregnant in the first few minutes of the movie. She goes on to struggle with the choice between abortion and adoption, eventually choosing the latter. The rest of the movie is full of quirky funny moments of her coping with her pregnancy, and dealing with the family that will adopt her child.

This movie will be quite entertaining for those of you who have been pregnant and had a baby. My wife and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Ellen Page was nominated for an Oscar for her role, and I can see why - she is a very talented actress. However, as much as I liked it, the dialog between Juno and her best friend was a little over the top and somewhat annoying for me - but maybe thats because I am no longer a teenager. I still recommend this movie though, you will get a lot of laughs.

1 comment:

Bryan said...

My wife and I went to see this on my birthday late last year. I had read nothing but good things about it and wanted to love it. In the end I liked it, but it's more a movie I respect than one I adore.

Part of that, I think, is because I found it impossible to divorce my feelings toward Juno from what the gospel teaches about immorality. I had hoped to see a little more inner spiritual suffering on her part, but most of her anguish was due to the whole adoption situation. A weakness on my part, to be sure, but one that kept me from really embracing the movie.

I thought J.K. Simmons was the best thing about it, though. And Jennifer Garner gave her best performance in years. Thanks for the review.