January 24, 2008

My Top Ten Sci-Fi / Fantasy Films of All Time

OK - another top ten list coming at you - this is for us geeks that know Elvish, Klingon, and the pedigree chart of the Skywalker family. I don't actually know those things, but can appreciate the hard work that goes into such a hopelessly pointless endeavor. (You could be the guy in the DVD extras of the LOTR, credited as a Tolkein lingust...). Topping the list by a long shot is The Matrix.

1. The Matrix
2. Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
3. The Abyss
4. Terminator 2
5. Contact
6. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (This is really just one big movie, not 3)
7. Alien
8. Children of Men
9. 2001: A Space Odyssey
10. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

Notables: As a huge Sci-Fi fan, my list of notables got really big really quick. But rather than apologize, I will let it stand as it is.

Planet of the Apes (1968)
Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
Back to the Future
The Terminator
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Aliens
Serenity
The Matrix Reloaded
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan
X-Men
The Sixth Sense
Unbreakable

Comments
Apollo 13 - Really wanted to put it on the list, but not really science fiction, because the science is real, and so is the story.
E. T.: The Extra-Terrestrial - This movie tops all kinds of lists, but I find it to be corny and tired. Maybe because I didn't grow up with it - oh yeah, and because it was a product of the 1980's.

3 comments:

John Fellows said...

I can't believe that Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith is not on there. That has to be my favorite Star Wars Movie

Anonymous said...

No Blade Runner? That's surprising.

Ben said...

I know Blade Runner has topped a lot of these kinds of lists - but the sad reality, is I haven't seen that one yet, and until I do, it won't appear. Plan to see it soon though.