April 27, 2008

The Apartment (1960)

Its been a few weeks, but I have seen a couple of movies I want to comment on. However, a format change: my plot summaries are going to be a little skimpier, so we can get to the meat of the review.

All right, first up, a quirky film that won best picture in 1960, The Apartment, which stars Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLain. For us Gen X/Yers it was kind of fun to see these two actors when they were so much younger than we are used to seeing them. Click here for a run down of the plot.

It is an oldie, but wasn't too bad actually. As you know, I am not a huge fan of the really old flicks, but this one is pretty witty though the dialog and acting was a little overdone at times - but that is to be expected with such an old movie. Shirley MacLaine is by far the most attention grabbing character in the movie, and she rightly deserves the Oscar nomination that she got.

So, verdict: good movie if you are in the mood for an oldie. Not amazing though.

1 comment:

coolhandluke said...

My wife and I saw this a couple months ago based on it's winning a best picture award (though I'm learning that really doesn't mean too much). I was expecting more of a comedy, though it did have its funny moments. I thought it had a little too much sleeping around, though Jack's character finally stood on some moral ground the last couple minutes of the show. I really like old movies, and this isn't one of my favorites, but I did enjoy it.